Last Thursday was not only Valentine’s Day, it was also my fiancé’s birthday. His only birthday request was that I bake him a treat to bring to work. Of course, I had no problem with that. He gave me about a week’s notice, so I had a little time to do some research and run some ideas past him. The cupcake we decided on was a combination of three things on my Pinterest Recipe Board, which resulted in vanilla cream stuffed Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream.
Since these cupcakes are filled and the cakes and buttercream are completely homemade, baking the double batch for Bob took several hours (this includes baking and cool time). But all the hard work was worth the “A++” text I received Thursday night and hearing that all 24 cupcakes were devoured.
And even though I didn’t get to eat one of the actual cupcakes, I was able to get a little taste. I kept the cores of the cupcakes and used the extra filling and buttercream to create bite size samples. I do believe that these were the best cupcakes I’ve ever made and maybe the best I’ve ever eaten!
Vanilla Cream Stuffed Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream
The cupcake itself comes from Just Putzing Around the Kitchen. Her original recipe includes a Nutella buttercream, which I’m sure would be super tasty. But, one of the guys Bob works with can’t eat chocolate. So that is where the idea for a strawberry buttercream came in (recipe from Blissfully Delicious). Plus, the pink made them festive for Valentine’s day. This recipe doesn’t call for a filling either, but that was a special request by the birthday boy (original filling recipe).
Strawberry Cupcake Recipe
– 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
– 3/4 cup granulated sugar
– 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp table salt
– 1 stick butter or margarine, softened
– 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
– 2 large eggs.
– 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 12 strawberries, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners
2. In a large bowl, beat softened butter, yogurt, eggs and vanilla until smooth
3. Slowly stir in dry ingredients until completely incorporated
4. Gently mix in chopped strawberries
5. Divid batter among muffin cups until each is about 2/3 full
6. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the tops are pale gold and springy
7. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack and cool completely
8. Once cool, core each cupcakes and store centers in a container in the fridge
9. While cupcakes are cooling, make the filling
10. Fill each cupcake and top with strawberry buttercream
Vanilla Pudding Filling
1 package instant vanilla pudding and 1 container cool whip
1. Mix pudding with half the milk called for
2. Fold in cool whip
– 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temp
– 4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
– 1/4 cup fresh strawberry puree (puree whole strawberries in food processor or blender)
– 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Cream the butter
2. Add in the sugar one cup at a time and beat until just blended
3. Add the strawberry puree and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes