This past weekend my brother graduated from Preble High School! Plus, my dad came home from China for the weekend!
His only food request was “Something very American…” So we decided on hamburgers, brats and pie. Initially it was apple pie (come on what’s more American than apple pie), but then my mom told me that my dad’s favorite pie is Sour Cream-Raisin…
At first I was a little nervous. I didn’t know what this was going to taste like. Sour cream and raisins? Really?
But once I made it….mmmm…mmm..mmmm it was delicious!
Sour Cream-Raisin Pie Recipe (from my mom’s 80’s version of the Better Home’s and Garden Cookbook):
1 cup raisins
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cups sour cream
1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
1 9-inch Baked Pastry Shell
Directions for Baked Pastry Shell:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening or lard (that’s how old this cook book is!)
3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
In a mixing bowl stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening till pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat till all is moistened. From sought into a ball. On a lightly floured surface flatten dough with hands. Roll dough from center to edge, forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Wrap pastry around rolling pin. Unroll onto a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; fold under extra pastry. Make a fluted, rope-shaped or scalloped edge. Prick bottom and sides with a fork. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. cool.
Directions for Pie:
1. Cover raisins with 1 cup boiling water; let stand 5 minutes. Drain.
2. Separate egg yolks from whites; set whites aside for meringue.
3. For filling, in a saucepan combine sugar, flour and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
4. Beat egg yolks slightly. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into yolks. Return mixture to saucepan. Return to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; add sour cream, butter and drained raisins.
5. Stir until mixed; do not over-mix.
6. Pour hot filling into Baked Pastry Shell.
7. Make meringue and spread over pie.
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
6 tablespoons sugar
In a small bowl beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tarter at medium speed about 1 minute or till soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating at high speed about 4 minutes or until mixture forms stiff glossy peaks and sugar is dissolved.
8. Bake in 350 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool.