Guess what is in two weeks…? MY BIRTHDAY! Which happens to fall on Thanksgiving this year. The approaching of my birthday also means that my trip to Chicago is coming up. For my trip, I of course had to buy a new dress. I found the perfect navy blue lace dress from ASOS. It was shipped out on October 27, but about 8 days later I still hadn’t received any updated tracking information besides “Shipped from company.” As I went back to check the tracking one more time, I noticed where it was shipped from… New Jersey. There was the answer to my question. My dress was stuck in a hurricane. So, I contacted customer service at the beginning of this week to see if it was still coming. Initially they told me it would be here by Wednesday, but then yesterday, I received another email saying that my dress had been damaged and that they would be refunding my purchase. My first thought was gosh… I hope they still have the dress! Luckily they did, and bonus, the company gave me a $20 off promo code since I hadn’t received the dress I purchased.
Now to food…
Tonight for dinner my mom and I made some very yummy crispy southwest chicken wraps. They were easy easy to make and super tasty. And while this version has chicken it in, add another cup of beans and it could easily be vegetarian. What I really liked about this dish was the crispy grilled flavor of the tortilla wrapped around the cheesy, gooey filling.
Crispy Southwest Chicken Wrap Recipe (from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe)
1 cup cooked rice, warm or at room temperature
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken or other shredded meat
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 green onion, finely sliced (white and green parts)
1/2 red or green pepper, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (I omitted this since my mom is not a huge fan of cilantro and the overall flavor was still very full)
juice of 1 lime
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 cups shredded cheese
1. Mix rice together with chili powder, cumin and garlic salt. Add remaining ingredients except for cheese and sour cream.
2. Sprinkle cheese over tortillas, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges, then arrange chicken and rice mixture down the center of each tortilla.
3. To make the filling a little more creamy, dollop little bits of sour cream over the cheese before arranging chicken and rice mixture
4. Roll stuffed tortillas, leaving edges open and slightly flatten the wraps with the palm of your hand. Spray seam-side of the wrap lightly with cooking spray.
5. Heat a large non-stick skillet (or griddle) over medium heat for 1 minute. Arrange wraps, seam-side down (to help seal the edge), in pan or griddle and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side.